11/12/2001

At Least Singapore is Cleaner than China

Jim’s hobnobbing with SW People’s advocates out-of-country this week in Chiang Mai… I think they were smart to ask him to facilitate the planning of it this year. It is SO up his alley in networking. Yeah JIM!

Kids are still in Singaporean school and this week will finish their second full year: K1, and P2. Tyler still complains about the Chinese writing but gets lots of kudos around town everyday for his verbal skills, so that helps (though I CRINGE at his Guandong accent!!). We have made a few friends in the neighborhood and actually found some little boys to play with, in our building, who converse at home in Mandarin, AND are about the same age. Never mind that they are physically & verbally abusive of their poor mother, and only like to play Nintendo, watch Digimon, or eat junk food. When Tyler and Cameron go up to those kids house (not super often thank goodness) I am on my knees!

I’ve found a few theatre friends, which has helped my outlook on everything else! They needed me as much as I needed them and I’m regaining some of my dormant passion. I was starting to worry that those kinds of “go for it” feelings were going to end up only in the history of my youth and young adulthood. I’ve been teaching a class on Playwriting. I agreed if they would call me a facilitator instead. I DON’T do lectures. 30 adult believers from a number of clubs here in town…and they are learning a lot (So am I – Having people “write from what they know, about values or issues important to them gives great insight into the culture!). They are really hungry to have a creative outlet! But they have a LONG way to go!

Still plugging away at learning Chinese – trying to keep up with Tyler’s P2 studies. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we’d come back to live in the motherland someday. But for now we’ll just have to visit, and keep our hearts open and vision clear. We’ve sure missed the adventure of China. Singapore is stifling!

No comments: