2/13/2010

My New Year’s Story About Contentment


Chinese New Year, February 14, 2010


Heaven's home, life's a field trip

When we moved back to Singapore in July 2008, we found our new apartment. It suited our two important criteria: 1. Within our budget in a ballooned housing market and 2. Walking distance to amenities and the boys’ school. For weeks we had scouted all the neighborhoods and looked at many options, and had determined that Block 356 Clementi Avenue 2 was the exact building that was the best. When we discovered that unit #277 (a rare rental in government housing) was in good condition with tasteful décor, we prayed for it even though someone else had already made a deposit. We weren’t all that surprised when that first offer fell through. It was even on the perfect floor: high enough to have a view of both the sky and the green of the treetops. It was clearly a gift from God.

However, after we’d moved in, I felt that the neighborhood, though convenient, was a bit creepy. I took to grousing about this gift, and it took a long time to get motivated to get all the boxes emptied, or frames up on the walls.

My husband Jim liked the rustic charm of the gritty stalls of fresh foods in the wet market (an open air daily market yards from our apartment), and that the Malay Barber would cut his hair for only $6. In the first few months of finding my way around for banking and shopping and the post office I wrestled yet again with my sinful sense of entitlement. I didn’t like the way the old men sitting around the shops stared through their cigarette smoke as I walked past on my way to do marketing (an effort of going to multiple stores to get everything on my list). I didn’t like the rats and the roaches on the sidewalks or in the children’s playground, or the way neighbors piled trash in the lobby. I developed a black ungrateful heart about this gift.

Early in January 2009, I truly repented. I resolved to find things to be thankful for every day and to love this new home & neighborhood. I knew from settling in our 3 other previous neighborhoods since 1999, that Singaporeans are not cold, they are just shy city dwellers. I need to resolve to be the one to take the first step in greeting them, and they almost always light up and are pleasant and friendly. I stopped brewing my beloved morning coffee at home and took to going downstairs every day to practice my Chinese with the Kopitiam staff. I started chatting with the checkers in the grocery and hardware stores. I’d sometimes get my hair washed & blow dried for $8 at the beauty salon next to the Malay Barber.

I even realized that the 3 male Creasmans don’t mind eating cafeteria-style Chinese food called Mixed Rice. Since it’s 1/3 the cost of making dinner at home (and I’m not a great cook), we started heading downstairs at 6PM every night. I pretty much stopped cooking and started getting to know the Chinese immigrant stall owners, fruit sellers and bakery girls.

We got a puppy, and Jack Bauser (we love the TV show 24) soon opened up friendly chatting with all of the dog owning neighbors, and pram pushing grandmas. One of the cigarette smoking men in a wheelchair even began holding Jack on his leash every morning as I went to buy my coffee.*

By mid-November, as a last minute decision, I decided to have an open house for Thanksgiving. We wanted to introduce our favorite holiday to as many neighbors and friends as could come.

We had 52 that night. Somehow it was still comfortable in our 1,050 square foot apartment. The guests all brought dessert or drinks, and got a taste of turkey and candied yams, the warmth of Christian hospitality and a bit of reflecting on the things we have to thank God for. Stuffing was popular! It was the only thing that we ran out of. It was truly like the loaves and the fishes and Jesus feeding the 5000. Instead of 12 baskets full, I only had enough leftovers to make a modest lunch!

Today as I put these little Chinese New Year’s
“coffee-to-go” gifts together, there are 6 neighbor girls helping me. We had our own little tea party before setting up the production-line. Honestly I’m loving my home. It finally has some color on the walls, and joy and laughter in the atmosphere.
Lately I’ve been thinking of this small flat as our island vacation home.** Living in our crowded city suburb among Singaporean heartlanders may not be the 5 Star atmosphere I admit I prefer, but I grew up camping for family vacations. I actually do like roughing it, too. As long as it’s not forever!

So, this gift & story is sent to you with a loving prayer as we start the Year of the Tiger:

Heavenly Father, as my friends in the USA try out
this Taste of Singapore, may they know how loved they are by you, and how appreciated they are by us. I pray that through their prayers and giving, they’ll feel a part of what you’re doing here.

We know that our common enemy the Devil prowls around like a roaring lion (or Tiger!), but we pray we will have the strength to stand firm in Jesus and resist his tailor-made temptations. If there is a spirit of discontentment or sin of entitlement taking root in their heart, I pray that you’ll gently help them to remove it, and replace it with a heart of gratitude and thanksgiving.

Lord, no matter what awaits them in 2010, I pray that this will be their best year yet. AMEN.

Life is but a breath. Breath deeply!
Blessing and joy,


K!Mberly Creasman
Church Resource Ministries
http://charminfullbloom.blogspot.com


*Mr Ng in the wheelchair got sicker last month. Yesterday, one of the other men passed me the address of his Convalescent Home. Jack and I will go visit him soon!

**Wait till you see the permanent homes we have waiting for us in heaven! I look forward to having you over to tea many, many times!

No comments: