4/02/2002

A Big Week in Singapore

We had a great time in KM this December. We still really miss China, and for us it is even more refreshing to visit China than the states (no feelings of obligation in China - just the joy of seeing people we care about and seeing who else we'll meet while there). It was a perfect trip even with the TIC's we encountered daily (stories from China are SO much more interesting than here!)

But we still feel we're best used for the kingdom here (though we're learning to break our Americaness that it's all about personal fulfillment and more about joy in obedience!). I am beginning to thrive...though it's been a rough road.

I've done some workshops and a small bit of writing and performing. I have a small network of professionals I meet with to plan ways to network the believers here for developing and mutual growth. I feel really confident that after 2 years, in our different arenas, Jim and I have met the "who's who" and He has given us great favour with the influential people.

This week is big. Our organization is being established as a SIngaporean mentoring society, and the board meets for the first time this week - April 3rd at lunch. I feel amazed at the dream team who's coming on the board. Definitely from Him. If I talk about this with my drama friends, it really starts to sound like "name dropping," the names are so well known and respected in the Singaporean C circles, so I have stopped, unless they press me!

I begin rehearsals this week for the first major production I've committed to. A local club is putting $30,000 a production into a children's community theatre and has hired a gifted guy to produce them. Since it's a professional show they rehearse during the days and the boys will be in school, so I agreed to attend rehearsals and understudy (and mentor). We feel it's a great way to get me out of the house, challenged, and to get to know the director (whom I greatly admire). The cast who are mostly younger Singaporeans making a go at professional theatre and also know - to some degree- our friend.

So, I'm excited and a bit nervous. It will take some juggling, and we have a new helper whos still got a lot of training to do to feel confident. After 5 years of learning to live with feeling inefficient, and unproductive, or that my role is administration and wrestling with computer problems, and then the big lesson that came with it: how my identity is in who my Dad is and not what I do...which I'm not sure I've learned! I feel a little rusty about "getting out there." The producer wants me to direct in September, but we haven't found a suitable show yet (I just read a new musical version by Judith Viorst of Alexander and the Terrible, etc, it was good!), but the thought is pretty frightening at this point, though I imagine once I feel back in the swing of things, I'll be gung ho!

Kids are great. Cam just got over chicken pox, and is a charmer. Tyler is the class monitor, still doing Chinese, and has been doing work for commercials for local TV (English!). Both are sp. sensitive and Easter really touched them at different points during the week of talking about it and watching videos...so that's the most important thing!

No comments: