9/04/2007

Fiction to Cook By

I'm loving my new iphone.

For what it lacks in some features I frequently used on my Nokia,

(no sms 'groups' to send multiple people the same message, no lyrics, 'to do' notes in ical don't sync, no zoom on camera, being able to add a person's photo that's already in my phone as a thumbnail in my contacts, or assign a special ring tone to my special friends or groups, or sync family info - like kid's names or birthdays with the contact list...okay, okay, I know, I'm a geek)

this beautiful little tool makes up for what it lacks in being simply snazzy, delightful fun.

(ie. MAPS: it's really fun to be able to look up places when I'm lost -- like where's the closest In-N-Out Burger? -- and then get driving directions. Bored in a long line or while on hold. Stress no more! I can now watch the best on YouTube, and surf the web with a BIG GIANT screen that really does that 'expand thingy' when you need to zoom in on a detail you'd like to read)

But, most of all, I'm loving it mostly for having ready tunes piped into my brain again.


(Momentary whining: my former ipod crashed right in the middle of memorizing music for a concert the month after it's extended warranty wore out.)


The many uses of my ipod in Pasadena:

  • I drop Tyler at school and explore another workout venue: the 4 miles around the Rose Bowl and adjacent golf course. All the while listening to the mind (and hopefully heart) altering book of Philippians.
  • Tonight while cooking dinner, I had Meryl Streep in my head reading a John Cheever short story.
  • The other day, while watering the plants outside, I listened to a new(ish) broadway musical BOMBAY DREAMS.
  • I listen while driving to school to the gorgeous voice of Marcus Buckingham as he tells me the One Thing I Need To Know
  • I have to stop in the hardware aisle of Target to have a laugh at the lyrics of the song GASTON from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
Oh, yes! And I did make up for the Missing Music Lyric function:
I set up a new gmail account and use it exclusively to email myself the lyrics to songs I'm learning. I refuse to have the onslaught of unread emails enter my iphone's domain. I don't want to be reminded at every glance that I have 574 new unread emails. So I'm now using the email function to be my 'music lyric library.'

(did i already write that I know I'm a geek?
Yes. A gorgeous geek is finding fun ways to add spice to life!)
there's no more.

No comments: