9/20/2007

A Scene for Understanding Men and Football

(The bedroom of apartment #205 Providence Mission Homes, Pasadena. Evening.)

WIFE
That's just not a satisfying answer.

HUSBAND
What?

WIFE
What you said last night about football.

HUSBAND
Huh?

WIFE
That it 'encapsulates life.' All the highs and lows and drama... That's not a satisfying answer to me.

HUSBAND
Oh.

WIFE
So help me understand.

HUSBAND
What?

WIFE
Why it's worth the risk! Why a 14 year old boy is willing to take the risk that he'll walk with a limp for the rest of his life just for the fun of it?!? Isn't life full of enough tragedy and danger and pain at the arbitrary - I mean permissive -- i mean loving will of God? Why are you willing to take the risks? I mean, I can see if you're saving people from a sinking ship, or rescuing children from flames, or stopping a rapist, or fighting a terrorist--but just for the fun of it? HELP ME HERE! I want to be supportive. I don't want to be hating you or shaking my fists at God if Tyler ends up in Emergency on a Friday night this fall!

HUSBAND
Honey.

He sits beside her.

HUSBAND
You are a woman. You will never understand.

WIFE
Try.

HUSBAND
You see we men want to kill people. We want to conquer things violently. We want to rape and pillage. We do. Sports just gives us a civilized way to get it out of our systems.

WIFE
...Oh.

1 comment:

gemia said...

LOL~~~ that is so funny! Now I understand... hahaha~~

How are you Kim? *hugs*
Sorry I didn't call you after the performance... about your post on "A Sunday Morning Prayer for a Withered Garden" that surrounds me as well...my friends that is...and I muz say, I'm one of them.

Now that I'm out of being busy, I'm gonna actively look out for another place to regain and recover that fire.

May you be a kerosene to the rest out there...

God bless!!