9/18/2008

Out of Crisis Mode and Operational *

Monday when I came home from my 4th week of teaching PERFORMING ARTS IN MINISTRY (at 11PM), I found Jim online shopping for a new computer. The one here seems to have caught too many bugs while we've been away. It won't even turn on, so we'll let you know when we get that 714 number up again.

This week I'm saying, "We're out of crisis mode and operational." However, it's the pace of normal life added to these smaller and unusual breakdowns that are keeping us from getting all the boxes sorted or anything hung on the walls.

Yesterday it was a lost shoe! When I went to put Cam's football bag together so that he could go directly from drama club to football practice, ONE CLEAT was missing. He and tyler both saw a PAIR the night before in the kitchen, so the only thing I can figure is that I must have put it too close to the window to dry out. I walked around downstairs at 11:30PM last night, but couldn't find it. So purchasing a new pair of cleats is on my agenda today! Even though it's tedious to get around; and if you do 2 shopping errands, you have to CARRY your purchases around at the 2nd stop.

BUT. I'm very grateful when something like this happens because I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE TO GO TO GET CLEATS!

I KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN THE DRYER BREAKS, or THE WASHER IS LEAKING, or MY HAIR NEEDS COLORING, or ONE CHILD IS REQUIRED TO GET A TETANUS SHOT, or I NEED TO BORROW A LARGE COOLER WHEN I'M ASSIGNED TO BRING GATORADE FOR THE TEAM.

I keep thinking of the new families I've met at school and grateful I'm over the learning curve of so much of the HOW and WHERE's of living here.

Our next door neighbor came over Sunday night with lotus paste and pumpkin seed mooncakes. Jeanette. From Fairfield Methodist Church where Jim preached once. Daughter 16, Son 15 (haven't even seen them!). We had a nice visit. Her kids are both accomplished pianists and in some "accelerated track" at the Anglo-Chinese School. This is due, I'm sure to no small amount of prodding from their mom. 

These Singaporean homemakers give me an inferiority complex.

No comments: