10/09/2017

Hearing from God and How Sin Affects Us

(Written for The River Women Prayer Prompt Text Devotional)


John 14:26, 27 Jesus said:
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, WILL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
We've had a week of lament after the tragedy in Las Vegas. It brought us to our knees, and caused us to grieve so many of things wrong with our world. 

On this Sunday, a new week has begun, and we had a wonderful morning of worship both at the beach and Norris. Happy kids and families experienced "the conservatory," our new venue for them.

Yesterday we know of 31 in our community were involved in outreach (because that's how many were at the LA Mission and Young Life Great LA training Summit). 

My guess is that many others were elsewhere bringing hope, being a light for the truth of new (meaningful & eternal) life in Jesus Christ.

We know that the Holy Spirit is at work in and through us!

Lynn and Denise told me this week: Three of our women's Bible studies INDEPENDENTLY chose to focus on the topic of hearing from God. 

Hmmm…
I'm not in any of these Bible studies right now. But, Susan Litwiller (another prayer prompter) and I are reading a book on this topic. Anyone else reading/studying hearing from God?

We have united hearts in desiring to be so intimate with God that we can "hear" him speak - or know when he is leading/guiding!

Here's some more about hearing from God…

Psalm 66:18 says,

"If I had cherished sin in my heart the Lord would not have listened."

If we are living in a way where our thoughts and actions are contrary to God's ways (made clear for us in his word and through our conscience), 

all we will "hear" from God is his prompting to give up those things which have entangled us. 

Sin keeps us from hearing. 

The last couple years I've been doing a lot research about spiritual strongholds of sin. That's why Lyn asked me to write prayer prompts to reveal and lead us to confess different ways we may be sinning.

But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Colossians 3:8-10 ESV


The Brave Woman Manifesto* addresses confession and being transformed and renewed by his cleansing power:
  • I will allow God to transform my life through renewing my mind in the Word each day. (Romans 12:2) (#7)
  • I will confess my sin before God daily before bringing my requests before Him. (Hosea 14:2; Psalm 5:3, 66:18) (#8)
  • I will be honest about my issues with God and seek His help (and counseling when needed) for
    overcoming sin, strongholds, and addictons. (Psalm 51, Romans 12:3) (#11)
  • I will seek God for a changed heart before trying to change my circumstances. (Ezekiel 36:26) (#18)
  • I will allow God's power to be made perfect in my weaknesses. (2 Corinthians 12:19) (#40)
  • I will put on the full armor of God as I fight against the enemy of God and not the people of God. (Ephesians 6:10-19) (#51)
*Our recent prayer prompts have been inspired by The Brave Woman Manifesto. You can download the 52 "I will…" statements from "The Brave Woman Manifesto" (Elisa Pullman) @ www.moretobe.com/brave-woman/" #putoffputon

No comments: