7/08/2002

BREATH: Psalm 39:5

by k!mberly

I read in the Bible that
"Life is a but a breath."

A vapour.
The breath that rests on the cold air of a frosty morning.
Puuhhhffffff.
And in seconds is gone.

I hope the breath of my life will be
Good breath.
Not bad breath.

Seconds
Only.

And I'm prone to the
Halitosis of self absorption.

I hold my empty cup
To you God.
I'm ready to gargle again.

I want
Breath
That won't be wasted
On complaints or criticism.

I want
Breath
That will waft a blessing
On those few other vapours
Who are sharing these seconds with me.

I want my
Puuhhhffffff
To raise a delighted eyebrow
Not wrinkle up a nose.

Oh God!
Fill my cup with
That sweet fragrance of Christ.

His vapour was even shorter than most.
Yet,
For the joy set
Before him,
Endured the CROSS.

No complaints.
Puuhhhffffff.
His vapour on earth
Now long gone.
Ascended.

But his fragrance
Remains.
Spread by my joy.
By your joy.
In the seconds we have left.

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."

II Corinthians 2:14,15

No comments: