7/10/2002

CRM Worldwide Conference, Venezuela

What a Godward organization we've joined! I am always amazed when I get to know others with CRM. Very humbling to have fellowship with and be a part of such a gifted, saintly group of peers!

The speaker was captivating - John Piper - inspiring and pointed us to passion in worshipping God as the ONLY thing that will give us satisfaction in this vapour we call our life; and how He doesn't need us; and a fresh perspective on serving him from our weakenss (sessions were refreshing and thought provoking - and convicting as well!). I was really honoured and a little stressed when the CRM president asked me ahead of time to coordinate 4 dramas to set up these teaching times for such a preacher (I've read 2 of his books this year - A Hunger for God and Desiring God . If you haven't read them...add them to your list!)...I only had a little more than a week ahead of time with notes he'd emailed on what he'd preach about, and didn't have a clue who my "talent pool" was. But it was entirely Divine how it all came together flawlessly and beautifully with just the right people for every piece.

Like Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire), I sensed God's pleasure in the process of doing what I love to do, and the execution of it too. I know that He was guiding and inspiring in the preparations for it. It was a gift to me to be asked, when no one in the organization has ever seen my work - AND so very personally rewarding for me since I love integrating the theatrical in worship, know how to, and I really haven't had an opportunity for the 5 years I've been gone from California. I know more times will come in the future, but this opportunity was very special.

Remember the old hymn FOLLOW ME? "I travelled down a weary road and no one seemed to care. The burden on my weary back had bowed me with despair...." Wow. Many at the conference got sick from the food, or the water, and I wasn't spared. The last morning when I was set to sing this hymn dressed as a pilgrim...set up as starting from a seat in the house and walking down an aisle to the stage in front, across and out a side stage door at the end of the song... I was so sick, dizzy and weak, that when an extrememly gifted violinist started her Applalachian style accompaniment, I didn't know if I would stay standing when it came time for me to get up and sing. Jim told me later he had never heard me sound better. I felt so much power in my voice. When I got to the last verse and was kneeling on the stage belting out, "These are the words I hear him speak to me: If just a cup of water, I place within your hands, then just a cup of water is all that I demand, so if by death to living they can thy glory see, I'll lift my cross and follow close to thee..."

No one needed to tell me later that God spoke to them in that song. His presence was evident. What a tangible application to the lessons God is teaching me!