7/03/2002

Love/Hate on the 4th of July


July 2002: Our "Great Marriages" cell group celebrates the 4th of July with us.

Happy 4th of July!

I'm having a love/hate day with Singapore today.

Had a beautiful time last night with 3 Singaporean couples, our closest friends here, to celebrate our 4th -- they were all very game and festive. I told them all when they greeted me they had to say, "God bless America!" Since it was the first 4th of July since 9/11, which, as I've written about before made me terribly homesick, and which was why I was feeling extrememly patriotic. Loads of red/white/and blue, a BBQ, we all sang the National Anthem and God Bless America etc.. Pretty fun.

Then we got home at 10:15PM to our little suburb of highrises, parked our car in a loading area, and in the 4 minutes while we were taking the sleeping Creasmans up from the car, some good-for-nothing-that-God-loves-as-much-as-me walked by and stole 2 bags we'd set by the car - containing Jim's work clothes & shoes, house keys, his cellphone, a couple of treasured coffeetable books about America (one new one from my mom on the heros of 9/11), and a silly pair of size 11 wooden shoes (Cameron's souvenier from our layover in Holland last week). I immediately took the dog for a walk -- partly to blow off steam, partly seaching for the offending terrorist (well, ok, "petty theif") so I could get back my stuff (I was confident that I am bigger than whoever it was that took it), and partly asking God to give me a heart that wants to pray for this person and all the people who live by the "finders-keepers" rule in life.

I know it's just stuff, but it makes me SO mad sometimes. We've had more than enough of this kind of petty theft in a nation that's known for it's low crime rate. We have an unseen Enemy who doesn't want us to like it here!

No comments: