2/15/2006

My Domestic Side

I hated cooking until I moved to China in 1997 when having a "helper" made me realize I merely hated all the clean up!

After 12 years of married life, my mother and mother-in-law had nearly given up on me as one who could produce anything edible from the kitchen. But when we left the states, the challenge of making a comfort food while living in China surfaced my domestic side.

Nearly all my favourite recipes come from a Wycliffe International cookbook that was put together in 1989 with the intention of it being used by people (mostly Americans) living in other cultures. It is out of print now but it has been the best general help to me and I always turn to it first for answers. I write the dates next to recipes and little notes about who likes it, etc. It is dog earred, stained, marked up and is probably one of the things I'd grab after my kids & my laptop in case of a fire!

It's funny that I'm writing out recipes today for the ICS cookbook. Tomorrow night, the Wycliffe friends who gave me the book for a wedding gift (which I didn't use for the first 12 years) are coming thru Singapore and staying with us.

No comments: