2/14/2006

Someone Asked if I'm a Homeschooler & the latest News

Yes. I'm a homeschooler during my children's waking hours OTHER THAN the 7 hours they spend each weekday in school!
(I imagine to REAL homeschoolers this is a cop out, or that I'm cheating somehow.) I want my home to be a VIBRANT CENTRE FOR LEARNING. But I can't do it full time with the sole responsiblity of educating them!

Since August, the boys are now attending International Community School near Mt. Faber (we now live a 10 minute walk from the school) It's a Christian International school and parents are very involved. one class per grade level with about 15 kids per class. Small. Nice. Our 6 years in Singaporean schools were good for us too. But it was the right time to switch them over to an American curriculum in a Christian environment.

I do a weekly drama club for about 16 of the kids from 3rd to 8th grade, have 2 groups of artists who are doing book studies for spiritual and character development and attend a women's bible study with expat ladies from St. George's Church (I realized lately that I have not been in regular fellowship with PEERS for 8 years! It is nice to just be a part of a group of wives, moms, Christians in their mid 30's or older, and mostly all "westerners"...MY TRIBE)

I'm also "consulting" with a new theatre practitioner friend; a catholic gal who's doing a devised piece of theatre on DESIRES with 2 other women who are not Christian. She wants the piece to ultimately point people to God, but also needs to resolve some of her confusion about her own passions and desires. Challenging!

Besides that the only regular "work" i have is going to the chiropractor 3 times a week. Started in January. Praying for healing in my spine. Mostly in my neck where it is out of place and causing irritation to my nervous system.

Our helper, Loonni, is going back home for a month in 2 weeks, so I've not taken on any other "work" 'cause I'm going to be the housekeeper/cook here for awhile. Give me a dose of "real life for moms." I've been so SOOO fortunate to be able to pursue relationships and theatre as a ministry with her doing all the housework. But for a season, that priviledge is going on the shelf.

Our family will take a trip to her village on the 4th week (when she's making the final decision whether to come back or not). We offered to come up to see her there and help her share the Gospel with her family and village. She never met a Christian or heard about Jesus before coming to Singapore. So we're praying that thru the grace of God, showing the Jesus film in her language (Isan) and introducing her and her family to other Christians we're trying to find in her area, that they will become followers of Jesus too. We're also praying for God to make his will known to her about her future. Of course we want her to come back with us (and anyone who's met her wholeheartedly agrees that she is a JEWEL!) but above that, we want what God wants for her.

No comments: