5/10/2006

Stephen Curtis Chapman Concert


Last night we had a special treat that beats our free tix to the
sold out cello recital a few weeks ago:

Stephen Curtis Chapman was in town, stopping by from Australia and the Philippines on his way to China. This Christian songwriter/musician has won over 40 Dove awards. That's more music awards than any Christian musician in history. Both his lyrics and his music are wonderful. He looks way too hip to be my age.
If you haven't heard of him, get an album. Any album.
(And where have you been for 20 years?) My favourite is Signs of Life...
but this one is newer and also INSPIRED.

The hosting church didn't advertise since the tickets for 2 concerts were snatched up by the congregation. I think the auditorium must hold 1500+. Lori Webb called the church, and kept calling until she got a person, and then she begged for 5 tickets. We got them. 5th row center. Free. We took our 3 boys. Awesome concert. Cameron and Lori's son Benjamin (also 9) were rocking out LOUDLY. I loved hearing his stories behind some of the songs. They've adopted 3 Chinese daughters.

Tyler was his usual stoic. But his excitement seeped thru. I could see him craning his neck to get a better view of how SCC was playing the guitar chords and fingering the songs. Then when Chapman started singing "All About Love" his face lit up and he yelled in my ear: "I was waiting for him to sing this one!!!"

Cameron was so cute, after it was over he asked if he could pray. So he lead us: "Dear God, we had a really good time tonight and I know you're really happy with how loud we were with so many people singing about how much you love us. I hope you had a good time too." What a treat.

When I made a new year's resolution to pray for more faith and more miracles this year, I didn't mean for them to be SELFISH miracles! God is lavishing his love on us in ways that are easy to see and feel.

I imagine I'll have the "post show blues" from soaking up and singing along full voice with such great live music. Oh how I'd like to have more good music in my life. It's something I probably took for granted growing up singing and all those years at RHCC. I don't think about it too much but I'm probably creatively malnourished without an outlet for singing.... I should sing more. I'm going to have to crank it up on the stereo and cut loose. It will probably help chase my blues away.

Kids are having sleepovers with 3 friends each. Cameron tonight, and Tyler Friday night. They love watching movies on our bed. I want a wall in my bedroom office so that I can have a testosterone free zone in the house (just kidding I really love it).

No comments: