5/31/2006

Old School Asian Teaching Style

I recently encountered a foreigner (white man) living here and
working in education who assumed there was an Asian teaching style
that included shaming by teachers, rote memorization for students,
devoid of creativity or encouragment. I'm happy to post here that the
stereotype for an Asian style of teaching methods is most definitely
an over-generalization. Though we've still got a load of problems and
pressure to reach academic excellence, teaching and learning in
Singapore is in many ways state-of-the-art. I was very pleased with
the teachers my kids had here for their first 6 years. There were a
few bumps along the way, but they were for the most part creative
educators par excellence. And they loved my kids! Of course there are
some "old school" teachers still around (wielding rulers for whacking
and shaming kids). But hopefully most of them will retire soon :-)

No comments: