5/12/2002

A Bit About Singapore and the Pleasures of Pets

from email with Elaine Bent, Texas

E: You all are on my prayer list, and I pray for you every day. I pray all will continue to be successful and that the bumps in the road will be smoothed out by God.

K: Thank you! This past week was REALLY full of difficult things that I won't go into, and it was a WONDERFUL week of joy and strength. I'm sure because of people praying after I'd send that last email.

E: I finally found out where Singapore is! Malaysia. You are quite a fer piece from China, Lady. I remember hearing about Singapore during W.W.II. And I knew it was Asian. That is all I knew about it. Oh, yes. The Japanese invaded it, too. I assume that in Singapore you are not under threats to be a missionary like you were in China. Since China is so much against missionaries, how do you go to China to teach and not be at risk? I have read about their treatment of missionaries, and you told me how careful you all had to be while you were there. My ignorance makes me afraid for you when you go there. I believe God will be with you, but I guess I am just a coward.

K: Philippians 4:13! Jim just got back last night from being in China - a 10 day trip. Meeting up with leaders of various ministries and denominations there. There are dangers, but there's a real excitement about what God is doing , and the thrill of the sensation of being on the Front Lines rather than in a more supporting role here in Singapore.

Singapore is a city nation - an island -- which has been independently governed for 35 years (used to be under Birtish Rule, and then part of Malaysia), now neighboring countries are really jealous because of Singapore's proseperity and modernity. It's a pretty sophisticated place, an oasis of civiliation in the middle of so many developing countries. Of course, we think it still has a ways to go in their civilizing (as you've read in my many emails!), but it is a remarkable little country about the size and population of say, Houston. They even have their own media - magazines, news, TV shows, movie "industry," Singaporean "stars." For such a little place, they are really into being recognized on the world scene! Kind of a "small man complex" we've got the world's best zoo, airport, largest hotel, largest fountain, even just got in the guiness book of world records for having had the largest line dancing party! Last year a church's community services did a fund raiser and made it in the book for largest tea party (6000).


E: Your boys sound like they have adapted themselves very well to their new situation. I know you are very proud of them. And a puppy! How they must love that!!

K: Our little puppy has brought joy to the boys, but I love that little creature too! Besides Paul, the other woman who is working with me to offer training to church drama teams has two girl kitties at home; her babies. I now really know I'm her friend - she just asked me last night to feed them while she's on vacation (Good thing I have a car! It's still a 20 minute drive, but it is easier for me to do it with wheels than asking someone who'd have to walk or take a bus to her house!)

No comments: