12/17/2021

You are not a Felon. In Christ, the Bible says you're a whole lot of wonderful things!

Matt, is one of the two guys I stay in touch with now that he has come out of prison. Normally this isn’t something the volunteer writers do, but Matt went to live in a Christian sober living ministry called “Friends House” that Jim and I have been getting to know and support. 


Matt lived with them until he blew it, and had to go to another place! He’s now graduated from the second program, and is roommates with a recovering alcoholic who was a guard at one of the prison units where he was incarcerated!


When I first met Matt, I gave him a printed list of Bible verses about “Who I am in Christ.” and  some instructions: 


“Wrap it around that awful FELON ID card.

The one you have to carry in your wallet. 

You are not defined as a felon by God.

This is who you are now!” 


The first time I met him in person, he brought along to show me all the letters I had written him while in prison! 


During Covid, I began writing to others who still didn’t have a volunteer to write to them. They are all affirming about what the letters mean to them. They write how much it encourages them to know someone is praying for them, and cares. They really open up in their letters. Even with the hardships (especially during Covid lockdowns and no visitation), they are hanging on to faith and hope; even if sometimes by a thread! 


Read more about writing like this.



No comments: