1/20/2020

Martin Luther King Day in Chattanooga

"A day ON instead of a day OFF!”

What a great idea. 

There are 387 churches in this county. 

Chattanooga has claimed to be the "most churched city in America." 

But we're also finding that there are some pretty messed up churches here!

The one we were sent to is NOT MESSED UP! 

It is an historic inner-city church, with a satellite venue that needed a good scrubbing.

First thing in the morning we checked in with about 250 other volunteers in the gym of University of Tennessee Chattanooga. 

The MLK Day organizers had a LOT of places we could go, but seemed low on volunteers. 

So, on my way to the church, I texted the owner of a housecleaning company I know. I asked to see if her staff could come and join us. Yeah, I ask crazy stuff like that of people. But I sense I ought to do something, I pray about it, and then do it. I'm okay looking and sounding like a fool.

The team wasn't free that day, but I told here where we were going and said, "Let's plan on doing this together next year."

She texted back, "THAT'S MY CHURCH!"

hmmm.
THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN CHURCHES here...
...of course it's her church!










No comments: