1/19/2020

BUSINESS TITLE: "Explorer | Encourager | Gypsy"

Check out the title I put on my business cards from 2015:

Gypsy.

Jim and I have lived a bit like gypsies since leaving Asia at the end of 2014. Jim spent a good deal of time in Vietnam and and I was finding ways to "bloom where I'm planted."

I ditched making my annual detailed goals (as uncomfortable as that was). Life was too much up in the air!

I prayed for my spirit to be as still as my life was. As I prayed, I had an image of floating in an inner tube. I was on a Lazy River with the Lord. With that image, I could daily be eager to find out who and what God would bump us up against.


The Lord had invited this Activist Explorer to explore a more Contemplative lifestyle.

Surrendering to this new focus, I wrote in my journal, "I want to come to a place of so enjoying this quiet with God, that when he gives me a green light, to GO and do, I am reluctant to leave his presence."

Well, the light turned has turned green in 2020!

Every week, and sometimes every day, clues are coming in ways that give me goosebumps. 2020 has been quite an adventure so far. But, it is with a different head and heart space that I dive back in to a full life. 

I have so much less bravado, and quite a bit more peace. I would prefer that every day had extended time of quiet, and pray as I go that his presence will go with me, leading the way.

Have you ever had a season where a transition forced you to learn contentment in the liminal space?

This quote from Richard Rohr was very helpful to me...

Mentoring resources we have used draw a lot from Fuller Professor and Author Dr. Robert Clinton. He wrote and taught about transitions. Terry Walling, on of his students wrote the book Stuck on the same subject. When we find ourselves stuck somehow, we need to first surrender to the idea that God allows these tough seasons to shape our character. 

He wants us to lean in, rather than scratch and fight for a way out... ASAP. He will lead us out. But if we don't learn the thing he's offering for us to learn, he will bring the lesson back round again.

In order to finish well, lean in. According to Clinton's research on Christian leaders who finished well, eventually God will stop bringing the lesson. If we refuse to learn the character lessons we need, our lives will plateau, and we won't enjoy what could have been if we had grown closer to the Lord, and stronger in character.

No comments: