12/22/2008

A Remarkable Christmas Memory

December 1997. 8 weeks into our 2 years living as language students in China I found myself being asked to teach conversational English in a government university (well, they're all government universities there!). The original teacher had fallen ill and I was asked to take over some of his classes. They agreed to let me teach anything I wanted just to cover the classes for them. So, there I was, in communist China, the drab dingy hospital green walls, still using black boards, and a classroom full of fascinated young people, teaching my first lesson for my series: holiday traditions of the west. I stood there teaching about the original Christmas story and the words to Away in a Manger thinking, "I can't believe it." I marveled. "Communists are paying me to teach this when it wouldn't even be allowed in USA."

1 comment:

patty said...

It is truly amazing to see how God works! He is doing similar things here too. Due to the fires in Yorba Linda and Brea, we now have a connection with a local public high school. this high school has decided that it wants to teach the Bible, as American literature to it's juniors and seniors, using the Psalms as poetry examples and other parts as examples of literature. Since the fires, they have asked us to provide their library which was completely devoid of any Bibles, with enough Bibles so that the students could go in and check them out!!!!